The Unemployment Diaries: New Options




Early in their history Seinfeld had an episode where George has lost his job as a realtor and is thinking about new options. If you haven’t seen it, here’s the link to youtube (they have embedding disabled or you'd be watching it right now) - well worth watching if you need a laugh and germane to this post (i.e. either watch the damn clip or you’ll have no idea what I’m talking about. More so than usual).

I’m at the stage of unemployment where it’s time to think outside the box (WAY outside the box) and like George, I have numerous special and unique talents that have been under-utilized in my previous jobs. Talents for which I should be rewarded.

v    I like fashion + I watch a lot of TV = red carpet network TV commentator for the awards shows
v    I like to read + I like fashion = editor of Vogue (I know, I know, I’ve been pushing for this one since I was in college)
v    I’m really good at quickly remembering people based on their voice = FBI voice recognition analyst- terrorist division
v    I watch a lot of reality TV + came up with the Project Runway All Stars concept = Head of Programming for Lifetime TV
v    I like good food and wine = food critic for the New York Times
v    I read really fast = Pulitzer Prize committee judge.

I see no reason why my location, inability to move at this time, and the unemployment rate in Oregon should be held against me. Let’s make this happen, people.

Do you have any special talents that aren't currently being recognized in the business world but should be?


Comments