What I Love This Week: Molton Brown






When we lived in Utah lotion was a utilitarian ‘buy the 6 pack of Vaseline Intensive Care large size bottles at CostCo’ thing. You got out of the shower and could watch the lines appear on your face as it dried and feel the scruffiness on hands and elbows before you’d even finished toweling off. It was the first time in my life when I understood what the word ‘slather’ meant. You got as much on as many places as you could reach and then if you had nowhere to be you even pulled on socks to ensure it really absorbed into your skin.

Now, we’re in Portland where I’m beginning to google “rain damp mold growth possible human skin” (this is why I’m a research professional and you’re not). I have 2 full bottles of the Intensive Care left that I bought almost 2 years ago. Aside from the face (with which one does NOT take chances at my age) lotion is not an everyday or every shower necessity. Which makes my love this week even better because it is so delightful and always makes me feel special- even after something as simple as washing my hands. 

It is my perfectly not-too-much-not-too-little scented Molton Brown naran ji hand lotion. I interpret ‘hand’ loosely and will mix it with unscented body lotion when I really want to feel pampered. The scent is light and warm and the texture is creamy but disappears nicely into your skin so you’re not all gloppy or rubbing excess off on a towel (what a waste!).


It was a gift from my sister-in-law (who always gives great girly gifts) which makes it even better because it is stupidly expensive- one of those things that you look at and think ‘I’d really love it but I cannot spend that much’. Getting it as a gift alleviates that guilt AND makes you feel like you are such a special person you can use wildly expensive lotion. I love those kinds of gifts (getting them and giving them)- something that someone really wants but won’t buy for themselves. And don’t we all like to feel special?

Here’s to my naran ji lotion and to your fabulous weekend. Find something you love and enjoy!

Comments