Summer Dessert- Blueberry Cake




I’ve been a bit obsessed with making dessert lately. My sweet tooth is an established fact but I convince myself it’s not so unhealthy when I bake the treats as when I buy them. I’ve been thinking about brownies with caramel but suddenly realized it was foolish not to take advantage of the amazing fruit available right now. A quick scan of my recipe file brought up this favorite which I duly made for dinner on the 3rd when we celebrated the 4th with dear friends.

It’s quick and easy and more importantly, not too sweet. J doesn’t eat dessert but this is one he loves as the blueberries are the only sweet part. The cake is almost like a coffeecake. If you want to get real fancy (which I never do) you can dust it with powdered sugar before serving.


It was the perfect end to a fun evening of freshly ground grilled burgers, lemon dill potato salad, and sangria.




Blueberry Gateau

1C + 1t flour
1t baking powder
½ t kosher salt
1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, softened
1C sugar
¼ t vanilla
2 large eggs
1 pint (2 C) fresh blueberries (may substitute frozen)
1t lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1.     Lightly grease a 9” springform pan and dust with flour
2.     In a small bowl combine 1C of the flour with the baking powder  and salt, and set aside.
3.    Using mixer on medium to high cream the sugar, vanilla, and butter until light and fluffy- about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time and continue mixing until well blended.
4.   Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture. Beat until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
5.   In a medium bowl combine the blueberries with 1t flour and the lemon juice.
6.    Spoon the berry mixture over the batter.
7.    Bake for one hour or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let the cake cool for 10 minutes. Slide a knife around the outer edges of the cake before you release and remove the springform.

From Janie Hibler, author of The Berry Bible




Comments

  1. Look at you all fancy with your French "gateau." I had five years of French and I can read "gateau" (although the picture helped as well.)

    This looks like a blueberry upside down cake I used to make, except I would pretty much just pick out all the blueberries and leave the cake, which pissed my mom off. I stick to just blueberries now, but this looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks YUMMY!!!

    Your blog post is ONLINE @ Reading is Fashionable...

    http://readingisfashionable.com/2011/07/as-husbands-go-by-susan-isaacs.html

    Merci again for contributing!!!

    Fifi

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks berry berry good. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

No other way around it- I LOVE hearing from you!