Wednesday, January 4, 2012

December Reading

I'm a little late with this due to the whole Lifetime debacle. Honestly, I don't want it to get ugly but I have so few original ideas I've got to protect the ones I have.


I covered the gamut from heavy to light last month. I don’t generally like to follow the crowd (because I’m so damn unique) but here are my top 5 favorite reads from December. If you’re a book buying person you can click on my retail therapy shop and purchase them there. Yes, I may earn a pittance but you’d be buying them anyway, right?





One family, four lives. Gorgeous prose that looks how thoughtless actions can change entire lives. This is one of those books I want to demand people read. Absolutely beautiful.



Jennifer Crusie and Madeleine Wickham are of the class of female authors who write engaging, fun escapist books for women. Perfect at any time of the year but even better during the holidays. Welcome to Tempation begins the Dempsey trilogy and 40 Love is a funny look at the wealthy wannabes in a London suburb.



Based on the true story of Clara Driscoll, the woman who designed the first Tiffany stained glass lamp and helped pioneer Tiffany’s glass work in the decorative arts. A wonderful book that will keep you reading and immerse you in the intricacies of stained glass production and gender politics at the turn of the century.



Louis XIV in the early years of his reign, before he built Versailles (hence the title, right?). Historical fiction, fascinating and fun. Oh, and what is about men and power that they can’t control themselves around women?



A generational tale of women, love and secrets. Ede’s daughter Lily is born of a single night and is a woman of whimsy and danger. She gives birth to Charlie, with no known father. This is the story of a family with secrets and how a young boy maneuvers between them.

3 comments:

tweedlibrarian said...

Not fair! I want to read every single one of these. I love historical fiction, and Tiffany glasswork, so that my need to be first.

Kerry said...

I really like the sound of the 1st and 3rd...will check them out. I'm on holidays but am painting walls instead of reading...not much fun!

asampler said...

I've just finished Dancing Backwards by Salley Vickers - a very elegant book & have just started Julian Barnes' The Sense of an Ending, so maybe some historical fiction might provide a balance. But, I'll be making a note of all of them.
Happy New Year - & go get Project Runway, the idea thieves!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...