Hot Weather- Cool Quinoa Salad




The cooking extravaganza that was J’s absence closed on a high note. I have read enough about quinoa to know it's a power food- gluten free and yet incredibly high in protein, fiber, and all kinds of other good for you minerals like magnesium and iron. It’s not that widely known in the U.S. outside of vegan circles so finding recipes can be difficult. I was stuck with a perfectly satisfactory but uninspiring side dish of quinoa, hazelnuts, and dried cranberries. Good but boring.

Then along came Joy (and yes, that’s her name). She’s a food blogger who makes me hungry AND makes me laugh which is almost always win-win. She posted a recipe for quinoa with black beans, mangoes and scallions that well, I inhaled. I don’t even have any photos to show because it was like a plague of locusts invaded my body. This recipe makes enough for 6 people and I ate all but 3 portions the first night. I should feel embarrassed but instead felt virtuous because not only was it fabulous but it was good for me!

Without further ado here is the recipe and the finished photo from Joy’s blog (so you have some idea how good it looks!). The combination of sweet mango with nutty crunchy grain and the bite of scallions is irresistably delicious. It keeps really well in the fridge and is a great snack, side dish, or main course especially when it’s hot out. I made it with leftover brown rice.

My biggest problem? J doesn’t like quinoa which is his tough luck because I’m making another batch next week.



1 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 cup uncooked millet (or other grain like brown rice, couscous, whatever sounds good to you!)
1 ripe mango
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
1/3 cup chopped scallions
Juice of 1 lemon
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Place quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. Rinse under cool water for 2 to 3 minutes. Place quinoa in a medium saucepan with 1 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil. Add a bit of salt. Reduce to a simmer and cook until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes before fluffing. Cool slightly.

In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add millet and a bit of salt. Reduce to a simmer, cook uncovered until water has absorbed and millet is fluffy. If you don’t stir it too much during cooking, the millet will be fluffy.

Toss slightly cooled quinoa and millet with mango, black beans, scallions, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

Comments

  1. You should venture inside those vegan/vegetarian circles for some recipes, as they're endless! I can hook you up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful. I'll jump on any excuse to buy a mango :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

No other way around it- I LOVE hearing from you!