Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Write on Wednesday- Portal

I'm really enjoying the writing prompts from different sites. Here is one from inkpaperpen.

Write On Wednesdays Exercise 7 - Sit under a tree and write: Find yourself a quiet spot. Set a timer for 5 minutes. Take a look at Kristy's Tree Photo. Write the first words that come into your head. Keep writing whatever comes into your head. Stop when the buzzer rings.

Kristy from House of Prowse


She’d read all the books- Lion Witch & the Wardrobe, the Hobbit, so she knew trees like this were not as they seemed. They were, what was the word? Portals!  OK, so a wardrobe was not a tree but who the heck had wardrobes anymore? A tree like this must be something more. Must be something to take her away.

She laid a tentative hand against its smooth bark. Nothing. Maybe both hands and little bit of pressure? Still nothing. Close eyes and relax. No change. She leaned her head against the trunk. Please, something has to get me out of this bullshit situation. Away from these stupid people who took pride in never reading, who didn’t even know what the SATs were because they were going to work on their family farms after high-school. People who acted friendly one day and turned on you the next. She didn’t fit in and never would. Only another place, even one peopled with fantasy creatures, would help.

“Please, open up and take me away. Please”, she whispered.

11 comments:

Kathy said...

Lovely! Wish I could write like that. On another note, must be tree day. I posted a wordless Wednesday photo - The old tree!

Jayne said...

I could really sense your character's desperation to escape. The whispered plea and the added pressure on the trunk are nice details that offer a little something extra.

House of Prowse said...

Ahh the tree as a teleporter device. Great! Enjoyed reading it. Come again next week!

Sarah Mac said...

Wouldn't it be great Catherine if trees like that really did exist?

Everyone feels the need to escape sometimes.

When I was very young and before I moved on to the Narnia chronicles my favorite books were the tales of the Far away Tree by Enid Blyton where the top most branches of the tree reached into far away lands.

therhythmmethod said...

I love the concept of a tree being a portal. This piece straddles children's fables and adult fiction, a really interesting blend. I'd love to see where this goes Catherine.
So great to see you joining in WoW. :)

Sif said...

I really liked this piece! I wonder if the tree opened for her or she found some other way to reconcile her situation? Well done!

Abby said...

First, I have never heard of that writing site before, so I learned something new.

Second, I love your take on the prompt, as I think I make that plea around 1,253 times a day and could relate to your articulate words.

Third, it's storming horribly right now, so sitting under a tree could result in electrocution or at the least, a very wet and cranky Abby. Let's leave that one alone...

Catherine said...

Thanks for all the great and interesting feedback everyone! This is an itneresting experience- timed writing. I'm not sure where I'll go with it!

jennifersmart said...

The Lion, The Witch and the walk-in closet - doesn't have quite the same ring does it?
Really enjoyed this - was so hoping the tree would open up a new world for her.

InkPaperPen said...

Hi Catherine! Lovely to have you join in WoW. Welcome.

I can relate to this piece, I remember in my younger days, searching for magic. I like the idea of magic in a young adult story and would love to see you continue with this piece. Hope to see you back next week.

Janelle said...

This took me back to my younger days, I've loved the Chronicles of Narnia ever since I was little and I used to hope I would stumble across a secret, magical land one day. I feel sorry for this character, she really seemed desperate for escape

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...