What I Love This Week: Our Garden




When we lived in Utah summer felt not so much like vacation and good times as a fiery inferno from which your only hope was to burrow down into the earth as far as you could or retreat into your home and watch your a/c bill climb into the triple digits.

Is it any wonder then that I am so enamored of and grateful for the lovely greenness that is summer in Portland? Granted, it is almost the other extreme in that I haven’t worn a sleeveless top in two years (and the timeline for being able to do so is shrinking rapidly) and we’ve yet to hit 80° for more than 2 days. The weather we’re in is a perpetual spring but nature continues to surprise and delight with more color, more produce, more surprises in our garden every day; giving me so much to appreciate.



Coreopsis- my new favorite perennial. Low maintenance, cheerful, and blooms all summer long. Even the bees are happy!

This guy makes it in for sheer tenacity. You already know I'm a huge fan of CostCo but their bulbs do not do well in this more humid climate. I planted 20 of these lilies and after 2 years he's the only survivor. Extra points for color audacity.

This is lemon lime heuchera- a prolific perennial in the PNW but ours has taken multi-tasking to new levels with these tiny pink flowers shooting off long green stalks. Stay tuned!

Last year we had jasmine on our trellis and the scent was divine but it did not survive the winter fo we opted for the more opulent but scentless clematis (which should survive)


If you have a garden, what are you loving right now? If not, what makes your summer shine?


Comments

  1. My bee balm finished blooming a couple of weeks ago. I cut it back; with luck I may get a second set of blooms. I was noticing tonight how colorful my front beds looked...a riot of red canna lilies, purple balloon flowers, fuchsia vinca, and bright pink phlox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I LOVE the hummingbird photo. They are so enchanting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I would love this post the second I saw the title. Love your pictures. Love gardens. The end.

    As for mine, it needs to hurry up and start earning it's keep. This time of year I normally have tons of veggies, but it's late this year. Boo hiss. Patience, patience...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Your garden is just beautiful! I am a new follower from Follow Friday hop! So glad I found your blog! Please stop by http://aboutamom.com to say hi & return follow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous garden!

    I don't have one myself, but I love walking around city parks and seeing all the pretty flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous garden! love your wonderful flowersn especially the two toned lilly.
    it's pretty cold & wet here so ouyr garden is looking rather sad at the moment.
    happy week to you ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your garden. I do not have one myself, but I am hoping to plant something in the fall since summer in Phoenix is so intense.

    I like the richness of that magenta. I would love to find a lipstick that color :) or a silk blouse would be lovely too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

No other way around it- I LOVE hearing from you!